Slackers’ is even worse than you might think

So this is why teen movies have such a bad reputation.

In “Slackers,” three super-cool class clowns are forced to help a dork get a beautiful girl who apparently spends all of her time either studying or volunteering.

Sounds like an episode of “Undressed,” right? But unlike the MTV teen soap and unfortunately for its viewers, “Slackers” doesn’t end after 30 minutes. It drags on and on, relying on a mind-numbing script and outrageous gross-out gags.

The film opens with Dave (Devon Sawa) and his two buddies, Jeff (Michael C. Maronna) and Sam (Jason Segal), college seniors who have cheated their ways through college, pulling a foolishly outlandish scheme to steal test booklets. The three partners in crime are but two months from graduation when Dave accidentally blows their cover to Ethan (Jason Schwartzman), a recluse obsessed with a girl he’s never met, Angela (James King). Ethan makes a deal with the slackers to stay quiet as long as they find a way to get him in bed with Angela. But for some unpredictable reason, Angela doesn’t fall for the obsessive, socially inept geek and instead for the charming rebel, Dave.

As the movie thumps along toward its climax, it develops many odd subplots – from countless not-so-veiled references to Jeff’s homosexuality to a mildly amusing Mamie Van Doren, an ancient former model, eager for ‘upper body’ sponge baths. The film also follows Reanna (Laura Prepon), Angela’s raunchy roommate who seems interested in nothing but sexual experimentation; Sam picks up chicks by insulting them; Dave attracts everything that moves and has powers of hypnosis … I could go on.

At times, Angela and Dave can hold the audiences’ interest, but they get little time to do so. Their romance is not so believable as it is a sigh of relief in contrast to the rest of the movie. Unfortunately, the story focuses too much on Ethan, whose comic value wears off quickly. His doll made of Angela’s hair and his shrine devoted to her are just creepy after awhile. In all, Schwartzman’s character is a far cry from the offbeat, disaffected role he played in “Rushmore.” And there’s no Bill Murray beside him to temper his unique style.

Nevertheless, Dave and his sidekicks are not too likeable either – they seem just a tad too cool and do not complement each other very well.

In “Slackers,” first-time director Dewey Nicks, whose credentials include music videos and fashion photography, fails to make the audience really care about the protagonists while also managing only a few laughs. The film’s juvenile humor is hard pressed to appeal to people allowed to attend the ‘R’ rated flick. Even those who enjoy this type of humor should beware, as the gags are poorly timed. At the beginning of the movie, some jokes get chuckles, but they lose value because they develop so slowly. By the time the punchline comes, the audience has lost its interest. This pattern of predictability repeats itself throughout the movie, gradually making the film unbearable.

In typical teen movie fashion, “Slackers” underestimates its audience and relies on shocking and obnoxious humor. The film comes off utterly inane, yet it is also unable to poke fun at its own inconsistencies. Not once do the characters step outside of their one-dimensional roles and offer us humorous reassurances that they understand the stupidity of the film.

Perhaps if the directors greatly condensed the film, it would make a decent version of “Undressed.” As it is, though, “Slackers” gets less and less entertaining as its antics get more and more far-fetched. This combination adds up to only one thing: a good sleeping pill. nyou