Medill junior Donnelly named next Daily editor

Medill junior Matt Donnelly, whose jobs at The Daily have included news editor, football beat writer and city council reporter, has been named the paper’s next editor in chief by the Students Publishing Co. board.

Donnelly, an intern at the Orlando Sentinel this quarter, also served as editor in chief of The Summer Northwestern. His term will begin in March and lasts through Winter Quarter 2003.

Current Editor in Chief Casey Newton said experience makes Donnelly an “ideal candidate” for the position.

“Matt has worked for just about every desk at the paper and has done a good job wherever he has been,” said Newton, a Medill senior. “I expect he will bring the same level of passion and skill to the editor in chief job.”

Donnelly, who ran unopposed for the position, said his main goal as editor will be to focus on The Daily’s reporters.

“I like to let the reporters inspire me,” he said. “I want the editors to point reporters in the right direction, but let the reporters come up with stories and enjoy themselves.”

The SPC board selected Donnelly Friday after a interview. Medill Prof. Mary Dedinsky, chairwoman of the board, called Donnelly a “highly qualified choice.”

“He’s very passionate about the ways the paper can be improved,” Dedinsky said. “He had wonderful experience leading The Summer Northwestern and will be a strong leader.”

Donnelly acknowledged that rough economic times could prove challenging.

“It’s a tough time for newspapers everywhere,” Donnelly said. “But it’s still important for us to practice good journalism, even if we have less space.”