Success not in cards for D.A.

It seemed to go by in blur, although Damien Anderson would certainly beg to differ.

Two months ago, he was gearing up for the first home game of his senior season, a glorified practice against Navy that had all the makings of a 200-yard stroll for the back. As the nation’s premier runner on an veteran-laced offense that doled out yards in bunches, Anderson was the only man to already have a reserved seat at the Downtown Athletic Club by opening kickoff.

But as the games went by, it became clear that those scoring seams Anderson charged through in 2000 had been stitched shut. Instead of dashing into the open field on well-executed misdirections and counters, Anderson was met with swarms of opposing defenders that squelched his rushing totals, his confidence and his Heisman chances. Through seven games he had 706 yards and a 4.4 yard-per-carry average. By that point in 2000, he had amassed 1,105 yards and averaged seven yards every time he touched the ball.

Week after week he masked his frustration with a poker face and athlete-speak. He still lauded an offensive line that couldn’t seem to find an effective blocking scheme. He insisted that winning was paramount, despite the marauders mauling him on every play. Then when the winning stopped, he stood there in disbelief, spitting out a laundry list of reasons why his team was no longer an overpowering force.

“I’m tired of learning from our mistakes,” Anderson scoffed after the Wildcats’ 32-27 loss to Purdue on Oct. 27. “I want to go out there and win.”

Unfortunately, he didn’t have much of a chance to make those hopes a reality.

A defender’s hit on a seemingly harmless 5-yard plunge dislodged Anderson’s shoulder, most likely ending his college career in a quick and auspicious fashion. Just like that, NU’s all-time leading rusher is done — and it just doesn’t seem right. He now cradles his left arm in a sling, and must serve at least a three-game sentence on the sidelines before the spotlight is removed for the final time.

“It isn’t in the cards you thought you’d get dealt,” said NU coach Randy Walker, who made the executive decision to pull the plug on Anderson for at least this week. “I know it’s unbelievably difficult, but I think Damien’s the right guy to handle it and I think you’ll see him play a lot of football before it’s over.”

Sure, he’ll handle it, but Anderson deserved a better fate. He’s a class act, a hard worker and a true team player. Many say he should be logging time on the pro circuit right now, handling a few late-game carries and learning from the world’s best athletes. It doesn’t take an econ major to crunch these numbers — Anderson lost millions by remaining in Evanston this year.

But what can’t be overlooked is that staying in school was the mature and correct choice for Anderson at the time. Despite the shortcomings of 2001, he should not become the poster boy for why any halfway-decent player should make the jump early. He rushed for a zillion yards and bushel of touchdowns last year, but he wouldn’t have been a first-round shoe-in. This was the proving-ground season, a stretch to show last year was no fluke, that he could put up big numbers against better-prepared defenses. But it just didn’t work out.

Anderson was not at Wednesday’s football practice. Good luck spotting him on the sidelines on Saturday. He’s slipping away quietly, and that’s fine. He won’t be forgotten any time soon.

Adam Rittenberg is a Medill junior. He can be reached at [email protected].