Singer/drummer of Eleventh Dream Day kicks back at for an easy ride

A lot of people claim to know the Chicago indie rock scene backwards and forwards, but unlike Eleventh Dream Day, who helped start it all in 1983, few can claim themselves among the scene’s founders. But you won’t hear Dream Day slip this fact from their mouths. In fact you have to work pretty hard to hear them at all these days. This week’s show with Yo La Tengo at the Metro was Dream Day’s first (and conceivably their last) of 2001. nyou recently talked to singer/drummer Janet Beveridge Bean in honor of Noise Pop Chicago – only she didn’t realize that was the occasion.

Q: So Eleventh Dream Day has been around for almost 20 years now. Is that weird or is that exciting?

A: It’s weirdly exciting. It makes me feel very old, I guess, but other than that I’m really pretty proud of what we’ve done and I still like our music. But I guess if Huey Lewis and the News had been around 20 years, he’d say he still liked his music, whether it was ever any good or not (laughs). I still think it’s a pretty viable thing.

Q: When was the last time you guys played a live show?

A: We played at the Empty Bottle around November maybe and then we played some shows in December. The last one was in New York with Yo La Tengo, actually.

Q: So the band doesn’t really schedule official tours?

A: No, it never happens. We wouldn’t have a tour – ever. I mean, if the weekend presents itself, I think we’d do it, but we all have too much going on other than that. It would be fun, I guess, but we hadn’t even really thought about it.

Q: What kind of influence do you think you guys have had on the Chicago indie scene? Some people would call you its founders.

A: Really? Wow. I’m sure there was something going on musically before we showed up, but I wasn’t aware of it. There was obviously an active punk rock scene, but I think we were sort of an anomaly among bands around here. It’s sort of odd (to recall) what it used to be like, when there were two clubs in town to play at and you’d have 10 people there or something.

As for the city itself, if we had an active part in it, I’m happy for it except that the rents went up in Wicker Park and we had to move out (laughs). But other than that, I would be proud if we had some sort of impact on it. I can’t say whether we did or not – you’d have to ask “the kids” that question.

Q: What about “the kids” here? Do you think that Eleventh Dream Day is still relevant to people who were in diapers when you guys formed?

A: You know, I don’t really know. I’m not really in touch with the people who listen to the records (laughs). I think that one of the bonuses of being on Thrill Jockey is that kids will check out anything on that label, even if they’ve never heard of it, so we can sort of stay alive with the younger kids that way. My son likes us a lot (laughs).

Q: What do you see in the future of Chicago indie rock? Do you think about that much at all?

A: Yes, I put in a good two hours every day thinking about such things (laughs). I think that what’s happening in Chicago is clearly the most vibrant music scene in the country, and not just in rock but in all kinds of genres – jazz (and) everything else. It’s a great place to play. I hope it remains that way.

Q: Did you guys participate in Noise Pop Chicago last year?

A: No. I didn’t even know it was Noise Pop this year. I thought it was just a regular show.

Q: What kind of predictions can you give about Eleventh Dream Day in the future?

A: I told you we have no goals (laughs). We just sort of sit around and then in another six or seven months (guitarist) Rick (Rizzo) will say: “Do you think we should make another record?” And I’ll say, “I don’t know. Do we have any songs?” And he’ll say: “Yeah. Do you?” And then we’ll see what happens. nyou.