D.A. to reveal decision today

Northwestern tailback Damien Anderson has scheduled a news conference for 2 p.m. today to announce his plans for his football future – but his mother said not to read too much into it.

“Either way he was supposed to make an announcement,” Scheree Anderson told The Daily Thursday night. She added that she knew Damien’s decision, but could not disclose it.

Anderson’s teammate, fifth-year senior Conrad Emmerich, spoke to the All-American tailback throughout the week and expected him to announce a decision no matter what.

“He was going to call (a press conference) anyway,” Emmerich said Thursday night. “It’s the appropriate thing to do. Drew Brees, Peyton Manning – they all did the same thing and they decided to stay in school.”

Emmerich, who played defensive end this year, said he last talked with Anderson early Thursday night, but did not know his decision. Emmerich brought up the issue with Anderson on Monday, but said the tailback was non-committal.

“He said, ‘Honestly, I haven’t made my decision yet,'” Emmerich said of Monday’s conversation.

Emmerich said he thinks Anderson met with coach Randy Walker on Thursday. Emmerich said he saw Anderson and his father, Boysen, leaving the coach’s office.

Anderson participated in team workouts throughout the week, but has kept his teammates in the dark about his plans, Emmerich said.

“None of the other guys really know,” Emmerich said. “They’ve been coming up to me and saying, ‘Hey, did D.A. say anything?’ and I say, ‘No, I don’t know what the hell he’s going to do.'”

Emmerich said that if he was in Anderson’s position – as a predicted second- to fourth-round draft pick – he would likely leave for the pros. But he also acknowledged the possibilities awaiting Anderson if he stays, such as being a Heisman frontrunner and a top-10 pick in 2002.

“I think if I were in his position I would bolt,” Emmerich said. “Any kid in his position, coming right out of college, wants to make money right away. It’s really tempting to leave, but Damien wants big things for his team as well. And with 10 guys coming back on offense, they can make some big things happen.”

Emmerich also pointed out Anderson’s loyalty to the NU program.

“He’s a type of guy who looks out for the program,” Emmerich said.

Anderson earned first-team All-America honors and finished fifth in the Heisman voting after rushing for a school-record 1,914 yards during the regular season.

After NU’s 66-17 loss to Nebraska in the Alamo Bowl on Dec. 30, Anderson has been gathering and reviewing information about his draft status. Emmerich said Anderson most likely asked for a draft estimate from the NFL – a common request among underclassmen who are weighing an early departure and one that has been made by other NU players in the past, Emmerich said.

Emmerich said Anderson’s expected graduation and the number of players leaving school early will affect the tailback’s decision.

Virginia Tech quarterback Michael Vick was the most recent player to announce his early departure, saying Thursday that he would go pro.

So far 26 players have decided to leave school early, including tailbacks like Wisconsin’s Michael Bennett and Oklahoma State’s Reggie White. Emmerich said the abundance of players leaving early could send Anderson mixed messages.

“There are really two possibilities,” Emmerich said. “Either there is too much talent coming out, and he might slide down the draft order, or there could just be a big demand for players at his position.”