Pro draft deadline looms for Anderson

With only one day remaining for Damien Anderson to declare himself eligible for the NFL draft, those close to him say his decision is still up in the air.

Anderson, who must announce his draft eligibility by Friday, has given no public indication of which way he’s leaning.

Since Northwestern’s 66-17 loss to Nebraska in the Alamo Bowl on Dec. 30, Anderson reportedly has been consulting his family and poring over information regarding his draft status.

“He’s really gathering as much information as he possibly can and trying to verify that information before making a decision,” said NU running backs coach Jeff Genyk.

Although he has met individually with Anderson several times in the past few weeks, Genyk said he had no idea if the All-American tailback will go pro. Genyk did say, however, that Anderson would take the “emotion out of it” and make an educated decision depending on his projected draft position.

“He’s been going through a lot of it with his dad,” said Jeff Reents, Anderson’s coach at Wilmington (Ill.) High School. “There are a lot of people he needs to talk to. One thing for certain is that he will look into every option.”

Reents spoke with Anderson briefly Tuesday afternoon and said that Anderson was then undecided. Reents said he tried to make sure he didn’t influence Anderson’s decision, but rather emphasized the positives of both routes.

“I’m not there to pressure him,” Reents said. “I told him it’s a win-win situation. It’s always been his dream to play in the NFL, but if he stays he will be ‘the man’ in college football and playing on a great team.”

With many top college players, including Michigan wideout David Terrell, leaving early for the pros, Anderson’s draft position likely will rise if he stays at NU. Drafts experts have projected him as a second- to fourth-round pick.

Genyk said the early departure of tailbacks such as Wisconsin’s Michael Bennett will play a major role in Anderson’s choice — with more running backs in the draft, Anderson’s stock could fall.

And with Virginia Tech quarterback Michael Vick expected to leave school for the pros, Anderson would become a Heisman frontrunner if he stays at NU.

Genyk and Reents also pointed to Anderson’s expected graduation this year as a factor in his decision.

“He’s definitely taking that into consideration,” Reents said. “And if he chooses to leave, it’s not like he’s leaving without a diploma. He’s very close, right on track.”

Anderson’s situation differs from that of former Wildcats tailback Darnell Autry, who left for the NFL without completing his degree.

Autry, a 1995 Heisman trophy finalist, had less trouble making his decision to go pro, according to former teammate Steve Schnur.

“He knew in his own mind that he was going to leave when we were at the Rose Bowl,” said Schnur, a former NU quarterback.

Although he said he doesn’t know what Anderson will decide, Schnur said another year at NU would serve him well.

“It would be wise for him to stay,” Schnur said. “Everyone can get better with another year, and can be selected that much higher next year.”