Gophers notch first win in Columbus since 1949

Many people thought Minnesota might have a shot to go on the road and upset Ohio State. Few people actually believed the Golden Gophers would.

“It’s almost unbelievable,” Minnesota coach Glen Mason said after his team shocked the No. 6 Buckeyes 29-17 Saturday. “After the game they said, ‘Coach you’re on top of the Big Ten.’ I don’t know if we can handle that. I mean, we are what we are.”

Minnesota’s last win in Columbus was in 1949, with Ohio State winning the last 15 times the Gophers came to town. The Gophers (5-2, 3-1 Big Ten) had lost 16 in a row to the Buckeyes and 28 of the last 29.

“Obviously, we weren’t ready to play and you can blame me for that,” Ohio State coach John Cooper said. “I’m the head coach. I guess it’s my job to get them ready to play.”

Minnesota built a 23-10 halftime lead by scoring on its first five possessions.

Gophers quarterback Travis Cole completed 16-of-28 passes for 243 yards and two scores, without an interception.

Still, the Buckeyes (5-1, 2-1) pulled within six points in the fourth quarter before Tellis RedMonday, who totaled 118 yards on 30 carries, went 20 yards for a score with 4:51 left to seal the win.

WISCONSIN 17, MICHIGAN STATE 10: Wisconsin and Michigan State both looked as if they were doing their best to remain winless in the Big Ten.

Two of the conference’s biggest disappointments met in East Lansing, Mich., with Wisconsin climbing out of the Big Ten basement with the win.

Wisconsin (4-3, 1-3) backup quarterback Jim Sorgi, seizing a final chance to break open a game tied at 10, threw a 45-yard touchdown pass to Lee Evans with 29 seconds left to beat Michigan State (3-3, 0-3).

“This is like a dream come true,” Sorgi said. “To play my first game, back in Michigan, at Michigan State, with my family and friends here, and to throw the winning touchdown pass with a minute left. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

Starting quarterback Brooks Bollinger, who was 0-for-6 in the first half, sustained a concussion and was replaced by Sorgi at halftime. The redshirt freshman, playing for the first time, completed his first three passes and finished 7-of-15 for 96 yards with one touchdown.

“This is hard to deal with,” Michigan State’s Jace Sayler said. “We need to find a way to win because we keep finding a way to lose right now.”

MICHIGAN 58, INDIANA 0: It shouldn’t have taken too long for Michigan coach Lloyd Carr to forget his disappointment from the previous week’s loss to Purdue once his team stepped on the field against Indiana.

The No. 18 Wolverines (5-2, 3-1) wasted no time defusing Indiana (2-4, 1-2) and quarterback Antwaan Randle El, shocking the Hoosiers with 35 second-quarter points on the way to the rout.

“It’s a good feeling, to be able to come out and within the game plan be able to score points and score points so quickly,” said Drew Henson, who threw scoring passes of 27 and 33 passes to David Terrell in the second quarter, each time on Michigan’s first play from scrimmage.

ILLINOIS 31, IOWA 0: Kurt Kittner threw for 248 yards and three touchdowns as Illinois (4-2, 1-2) bounced back after two losses with the victory over Iowa (1-6, 1-2).

The Illini, who allowed 35 points to Michigan and 44 to Minnesota in its losses, dominated the Hawkeyes by forcing four turnovers and recording five sacks. It was their their first shutout since 1995.

Iowa freshman Jon Beutjer threw two interceptions and fumbled once to set up three of Illinois’ touchdowns. Ladell Betts ran for 115 yards.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.