Accuracy in Media calls for University President Michael Schill’s resignation through billboard on wheels

The+billboard+will+remain+in+Evanston+until+Wednesday+morning.+
Sonya Dymova/The Daily Northwestern
The billboard will remain in Evanston until Wednesday morning.

News outlet Accuracy in Media dispatched a mobile billboard to University President Michael Schill’s residence, Wieboldt House, on Tuesday. 

The billboard, affixed to a truck, contains a photo of Schill on a red background with the text “Hamas’s favorite university president, Michael Schill.” It also says that it is Schill’s “time to resign.” It links to a website that prompts community members to contact University Trustees and urge that Schill step down. 

Calls for Schill’s resignation have come as University administration reached an agreement with organizers on April 29 to end a five-day pro-Palestinian encampment. In the days since the agreement was reached, organizations like the Anti-Defamation League Midwest have also demanded that Schill resign.

According to a Monday news release, Accuracy in Media is using the board to call for Schill’s resignation for failing “to hold violent, antisemitic protesters on campus accountable.” 

Rather than holding these students accountable for harassing Jewish students, engaging in hateful activities, and breaking numerous campus regulations, Schill caved to their demands,” the organization said in the release.

The initiative is part of Accuracy in Media’s Antisemitism Accountability Project. The group aims to combat antisemitism on college campuses through mobile billboards across the country. There have been similar billboards at Harvard University, Columbia University and University of California, Berkeley.

The project has been associated with “doxxing trucks” displaying the names and faces of university affiliates who the group allege have signed onto pro-Palestinian statements.

“This work is essential because these campuses are infested with antisemitism. We have proven time and again how holding students and faculty accountable is effective – and if the university won’t hold them accountable, we will,” wrote the organization in an article on its website. 

The mobile billboard will remain around campus until Wednesday morning.

X: @beatricedvilla