Softball: Northwestern wins away series against Ohio State

Daily file photo by Mary Randolph
Sophomore outfielder Kelsey Nader swings at a pitch. Nader logged six hits in Northwestern’s series against Ohio State this past weekend.

In its first conference road series, Northwestern won two of three games against Ohio State.

Behind dominant offensive performances, the Wildcats (19-8, 5-1 Big Ten) took the series’ first two games. In Sunday’s series finale, the Buckeyes (19-12, 2-4 Big Ten) dealt NU its first conference loss and snapped the team’s 11-game winning streak.

Sophomore infielder Kansas Robinson, sophomore outfielder Kelsey Nader and graduate outfielder Angela Zedak powered the ’Cats’ production at the plate. The trio scored 10 of NU’s 19 runs during the weekend.

The ’Cats opened the series with a decisive 10-0 Friday victory. Miller picked up her second consecutive complete-game shutout of the season.

The two-time Big Ten Pitcher of the Week this season allowed just four hits and struck out eight batters. The result marked Miller’s sixth consecutive win and fourth consecutive shutout.

NU’s commanding offense gave Miller plenty of support in the circle. Nader and senior infielder Hannah Cady both tallied three RBIs for the ’Cats.

During the final inning, NU’s bats exploded for five runs. Nader and Cady singled and brought two runs across the plate. Zedak and sophomore infielder Bridget Donahey both picked up an RBI during the seventh.

The ’Cats’ momentum in the batter’s box carried into a 9-7 Saturday win. Four NU players homered in an offensive firestorm. 

Zedak put the ’Cats on the board in the first inning with a two-run shot over the left field wall.

Robinson — the reigning Big Ten Player of the Week — followed up Zedak’s bomb with another two-run homer. Freshman pitcher Renae Cunningham and freshman infielder Ainsley Muno capped off the ’Cats’ strong offensive showing with consecutive home runs, the first of their collegiate careers.

Entering the bottom of the seventh, NU held a 9-0 lead. Freshman pitcher Riley Grudzielanek held Ohio State scoreless through six innings — her longest outing in purple and white. Grudzielanek allowed two hits and three runs.

The Buckeyes threatened a comeback, scoring seven runs in the final inning. However, Cunningham entered the game and maintained her composure on the mound, recording her first career save. She allowed no hits and struck out one batter.

After two days of offensive onslaughts, the visitors’ bats fizzled out in the series finale. Ohio State senior pitcher Emily Ruck threw a complete-game shutout, and the ’Cats lost 6-0. 

Miller, coming off an electric Friday outing, held the Buckeyes scoreless through the fourth inning. A fifth inning Ohio State grand slam put the Buckeyes up by four, and NU couldn’t respond. Two more solo homers secured Ohio State’s victory. 

The ’Cats will return to the “J” next weekend to take on Michigan and defend their undefeated home streak.

X: @rschlueter26