After summer renovations, Blomquist Recreation Center to reopen Monday

Daily file photo by Micah Sandy
Blomquist Recreation Center. The newly renovated facility will feature an expanded strength and conditioning area and new equipment.

Blomquist Recreation Center will reopen Monday following monthslong renovations, according to Northwestern Recreation. 

Blomquist closed on May 15 and has since remained unavailable to students as NU Recreation worked to upgrade the facility. The gym’s reopening will bring a gym option back to South Campus, as Henry Crown Sports Pavilion remains located on North Campus.

Students can expect improved facilities and equipment, including a more prominent strength and conditioning training space with rubberized shock-reducing athletic flooring, according to Frank Young, associate director of facility operations at NU Recreation.

The facility’s hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Saturday and 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on Sunday.

Young said the updated training space will replace one of Blomquist’s hardwood courts. The building will still offer two courts for students.

“The updated Blomquist Recreation Center demolished the temporary locker rooms located adjacent to the strength and conditioning area,” Young said. “This will greatly expand the footprint of the strength and conditioning area at the center.”

According to NU Recreation’s website, other updated amenities include two locker rooms with showers and a lock checkout. The facility will be equipped with Lifecycle bikes, recumbent Life Fitness treadmills, Cybex selectorized strength training machines and Precor elliptical trainers.

Twitter: @HabashySam