Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

10 things you don’t want to forget on your college packing list

Illustration by Paloma Leone-Getten
Here are 10 things you probably want to have by the time the academic year starts.

Packing for college can be stressful. You might even forget a few things in the process, which is usually okay, given that there’s a Target near South Campus. However, to make your transition to Northwestern a bit easier, here are 10 things you probably want to have by the time the academic year starts.

1. Noise-canceling headphones.

Sometimes you just want to study in your room but, alas, you have some really loud roommates. Or you’re trying to cancel out other noises (if you catch my drift). Regardless, a really good pair can make a huge difference.

2. Shower flip-flops.

Who knows what has touched those public shower floors (and I don’t recommend finding out). I would recommend just getting a cheap pair for about $3 at Target. They also serve well when you are too lazy to put on sneakers to do a load of laundry.

3. A mini-fridge with a freezer component.

Don’t forget the freezer component. There have been too many times where I’d get an ice cream pint from Lisa’s Cafe and have it turn into soup if I don’t eat it all within 20 minutes. Plus, it’s really nice to have a fridge to store leftovers or extras from the dining hall in case you’re looking to save trips for food.

4. A desk fan.

A fan is necessary, especially if you’re living in Bobb-McCulloch Hall or Sargent Hall, both of which are notorious for their lack of air conditioning. I lived in one of the converted fraternity houses my sophomore year and would sit in front of my desk fan for a solid five minutes every time I came in because it can get so hot at the start of fall and end of spring.

5. A twin XL mattress topper.

Residential hall beds are not the most comfortable. You can change that with a foam mattress topper.

6. Extension cords.

Some outlets are just hard to get to and not so plentiful, so it comes in handy when you have extra places to plug in your electronics.

7. A mesh shower caddy.

There usually isn’t a place for you to easily store your bathroom stuff, so a caddy with a handle is great to hang in the bathroom or on the shower knob. A mesh caddy (over a plastic one) allows for more flexibility in terms of where you can hang it, and the mesh allows for water to easily drain out if you place it in the shower.

8. A really long phone charger cord.

Going back to my sixth point, if your only available outlet is far from the bed (or wherever you keep your phone), having a wire that’s at least six feet long is really useful.

9. A mini vacuum cleaner.

There have been too many times when I’ve relied on my roommates for their vacuum cleaner because of the long hair strands and dust that clutter the floor. You might want to get your own, though, in case your neighbors aren’t as nice.

10. A set of dishes and cutlery.

I really liked having a bowl, a few mugs, a plate and some cutlery in my dorm. If you have those leftovers in your mini-fridge, it can be nice to have something to microwave your food in, especially if you’re trying to make late-night ramen.

Twitter: @amittal27