Field Hockey: Northwestern shoots for second national title

File photo by Esther Lim
The road to Chapel Hill, North Carolina will require talent across the board.

Northwestern came up a goal-shy of a second consecutive national title in 2022, dropping a 2-1 heartbreaker to undefeated North Carolina. 

The battle-tested Wildcats displayed grit and a killer instinct throughout the season, launching several late game sieges to draw well within reach of their ultimate goal. 

Now, every team will carry a blank slate into 2023.

With one of the sport’s all-time great players and tactical minds at the helm in coach Tracey Fuchs, NU enters the fall slate as a contender for the national title.

However, a plethora of perennial powerhouses all seek to get their hands on the coveted championship crown, and the road to Chapel Hill, North Carolina will require talent across the board.

Between the pipes, NU boasts one of the NCAA’s premier netminders — who is no stranger to the biggest stages. Senior goalkeeper Annabel Skubisz tallied 111 saves in her junior campaign, including seven in the national championship bout. For the Cats to make a deep postseason run, Skubicz must live up to her All-American billing.

Graduate student midfielder and back Alia Marshall and senior midfielder Lauren Wadas will provide a veteran two-way presence for NU, while Fuchs possesses an additional flurry of experienced attacking and defensive options at her disposal.

Although freshman forward Olivia Bent-Cole has yet to compete at Lakeside Field, the 2022 MAX Field Hockey National Player of the Year packs a potent scoring stroke that could carve up significant minutes for the first-year. Bent-Cole earned a roster slot on Team USA this June and has made five international appearances for the senior squad.

Expectations will soar sky high as the reigning national finalists look to ascend field hockey’s summit for the first time since 2021, launching their quest in August. 

Twitter: @jakeepste1n