Caffeinating in Evanston: The places you’ll love a latte

While+Philz+isn%E2%80%99t+as+close+to+campus+as+some+of+the+other+places+on+this+list%2C+students+make+the+walk+over+because+of+the+spot%E2%80%99s+coziness+and+welcoming+staff.+
File photo by Katie Chen
While Philz isn’t as close to campus as some of the other places on this list, students make the walk over because of the spot’s coziness and welcoming staff.

Your Northwestern experience wouldn’t be complete without coffee. From classic espressos to specialty lattes, caffeine will be your best friend on groggy mornings and precious fuel for late night study sessions. 

Cafe Coralie / Patisserie Coralie 

With its French decor and rows of delicious pastries, Patisserie Coralie is one of the cutest off-campus study spots in Downtown Evanston.

While the coffee is standard fare, the pastries elevate the experience by complementing the drinks offered. In particular, the macarons are a must-try. 

They come in a variety of flavors — from raspberry to pistachio — which change depending on what time of year you go. 

Those who fall in love with Patisserie Coralie’s treats and pastries are in luck — there’s a branch located on campus in the Pancoe-NSUHS Life Sciences Pavilion. 

Beatrice’s order: Latte + Box of Six Macarons

Kaavya’s order: Iced Lavender Latte + Earl Grey Macaron

Coffee Lab 

Those looking for Asian-inspired flavors won’t be disappointed by Coffee Lab, whose drinks and desserts aim to reflect its owners’ heritage and childhood memories.

Aside from typical coffees like lattes and Americanos, Coffee Lab offers ube and matcha lattes. The store uses locally roasted beans to brew some of the freshest and most aromatic coffees in Evanston. 

Sweets like milk buns and Filipino-inspired ice creams complete the menu. 

Beatrice’s order: Iced Ube Latte
Kaavya’s order: Iced Mocha 

Colectivo Coffee 

Another convenient location, Colectivo sits across from Target in downtown Evanston.

Colectivo is a city staple with a bustling, lively atmosphere many students take advantage of, whether to catch up or study. 

A Midwest chain, Colectivo has seasonal menus and a long list of caffeinated drinks, as well as sandwiches and other warm food, baked goods, smoothies and frappes.

Beatrice’s order: Pistachio Matcha Latte
Kaavya’s order: Iced Smoked Vanilla Mocha

Newport Coffee House 

While a couple of blocks further from campus, Newport Coffee House is still just a ten minute walk from the edge of South Campus.

Newport boasts contemporary decor and a unique, smaller menu, with unexpected drinks like the Lingonberry Coffee. They also have warm food four days a week and rotating pastries.

Beatrice’s order: Cold Brew

Kaavya’s order: Cold Brew Shake 

Peet’s Coffee

Peet’s is another chain with a store in Evanston just a couple of blocks off South Campus. One of Peet’s notable features, though, is their student discount: Northwestern students get $1 off any drink by showing their Wildcard.

It’s a close-by location in downtown and a good place to hunker down and study for a couple of hours at a bar or in an armchair. The baristas are friendly and the drinks are fast and tasty.

Beatrice’s order: Cold Brew Oat Latte
Kaavya’s order: Iced Vanilla Latte 

Philz Coffee 

The national chain has a store right in Evanston! 

The best part of Philz drinks is that they’re customizable —  baristas are open to modifying any menu item to your palate with alternative milks or additional espresso shots. 

Beatrice’s order: Ether, Jacob’s Wonderbar 

Kaavya’s order: Mocha Tesora 

Starbucks

There’s a newly renovated branch inside Norris University Center and another right next to campus on Sherman Avenue.

Both locations have hours fit for a college student, open through 10 p.m. on weekdays, and the Sherman Avenue location is always full of studying Wildcats. With consistent drinks and easy locations, Starbucks has a place in many college students’ hearts.

Beatrice’s order: Iced Chai Tea Latte
Kaavya’s order: Vanilla Sweet Cream Nitro Cold Brew

Twitter: @kaavya_butaney

Twitter: @beatricedvilla