Men’s Basketball: Northwestern lands third transfer with former Princeton guard Ryan Langborg

Daily file photo by Angeli Mittal

Ryan Langborg dribbles the ball. The former Princeton guard, who averaged 12.7 points and 3.1 rebounds per game last season, announced his commitment to Northwestern on Sunday.

Alex Cervantes, Senior Staffer

Princeton guard Ryan Langborg announced his commitment to Northwestern as a grad transfer on Sunday, marking the team’s third transfer portal addition this offseason.

Following the departures of sophomore guard Julian Roper II and senior forward Robbie Beran, coach Chris Collins wasted little time in retooling ahead of another potential March Madness run. He first added Denver guard Justin Mullins and Liberty forward Blake Preston, who respectively averaged 9.8 points and 6.7 points per game last season to strengthen the Wildcats’ bench unit. 

Langborg, a 6-foot-4 guard, spent four years under Tigers coach Mitch Henderson, a former assistant coach at NU. In his senior season, Langborg started all 32 games for Princeton, averaging 12.7 points, 3.1 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game. 

The San Diego, California native dazzled at the end of the season with eight outings of at least 12 points in the Tigers’ final 10 games, helping Princeton win the Ivy League Tournament title and secure a berth in the NCAA Tournament. 

In his return to California, Langborg was critical in helping the 15-seeded Tigers make their first Sweet Sixteen appearance since 1967.  His 22-point performance against Missouri in the round of 32 propelled the Tigers into the second weekend. In 37 minutes versus Creighton, Langborg poured in a game-high 26 points on 11-of-17 shooting and a 4-of-7 clip from beyond the arc. 

Langborg’s addition provides Collins with an offensive weapon and potential backcourt starter, alongside junior guard Ty Berry.  

All eyes now shift to the impending NBA Draft decisions of NU’s All-Big Ten backcourt tandem: senior guard Boo Buie and redshirt senior guard Chase Audige. Both players announced their intention to enter the draft process, while maintaining their eligibility. Audige and Buie have until May 31 to decide whether they will stay in the draft or return to college. 

Should both players return, Langborg’s commitment would mean Collins has filled all 13 available scholarships. 

Twitter: @CervantesPAlex