Field Hockey: Northwestern bounces back, defeats Michigan State and Ohio State

Esther Lim/The Daily Northwestern

Northwestern field hockey players celebrate with a big hug after an overtime win against Penn State. The Wildcats had the same joyous moment in their overtime win against Ohio State Sunday.

Skye Swann, Assistant Gameday Editor

On the road for the second consecutive weekend, Northwestern (12-3, 3-3 Big Ten) avenged itself with wins against Michigan State and Ohio State — including an exciting, overtime victory against the latter.  The Wildcats bounced back on the road after their nail-biter loss to Rutgers more than a week ago. 

Fifth-year forward Bente Baekers and senior midfielder Ana Medina Garcia played critical roles for NU’s offense. Baekers secured her 80th career season goal Friday against the Spartans, making her the fifth player in Big Ten history to do so. Medina Garcia tallied the winning goal in overtime Sunday, recording her sixth score of the season. 

With these two wins under the Cats’ belt, the team might be making a turnaround after two tough losses to conference opponents Maryland and Rutgers in recent weeks. As the Big Ten Championship draws closer, NU must remain strong for the rest of its conference battles. 

As the Cats’ offense executed perfectly on the field this past weekend, the squad’s defense also held their own. The unit managed to limit both the Spartans and Buckeyes to only one goal a piece. These wins deep into the season show promising signs for NU’s potential run for the postseason, with another national championship title on the line.

Returning to Evanston, the Cats will play at Lakeside Field Friday and face Michigan for the first time this season. 

Twitter: @sswann301