Kellogg alumna Cindy Axne narrowly holds onto Iowa House seat

Zach Gibson/Getty Images/TNS

U.S. Rep. Cindy Axne (D-Iowa) speaks during a news conference on Jan. 29, 2019, in Washington, D.C. The Kellogg alumna won re-election to represent Iowa’s 3rd Congressional District.

Isabelle Sarraf, Campus Editor

U.S. Rep. Cindy Axne (D-Iowa) was re-elected to represent Iowa’s 3rd Congressional District by a narrow margin — leading her challenger, former Rep. David Young (R-Iowa), by only about 6,000 votes.

The Kellogg alumna (Kellogg ’02) represents much of southwestern Iowa, an area that includes West Des Moines and its surrounding suburbs, as well as some rural municipalities. Most of her district voted to re-elect President Donald Trump, with only Polk and Pottawattamie County favoring former Vice President Joe Biden.

In 2018, Axne beat then-incumbent Young and flipped the district blue after Trump won it in 2016. Axne became one of the first two women elected to represent Iowa in the House. She was among the about two dozen freshman House Democrats endorsed this cycle by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, a pro-business lobbying group.

Going into a second term, Axne told KCCI she would prioritize expanding Iowans’ access to affordable and quality health care. She added that she wants to build a post-pandemic economy where “every family has the opportunity they need to succeed.”

Axne serves on the House Agriculture and Financial Services committees and is a member of the New Democrat Coalition — a group of “pro-economic growth… and fiscally responsible” Democrats.

Twitter: @isabellesarraf