Blotter: Chicago man arrested for battery, vehicle damaged using sugar water

Jacob Fulton, Assistant City Editor

Chicago man arrested for battery, trespassing

A 20-year-old Chicago man was arrested Monday and charged with battery and trespassing. 

The incident took place around 2:50 p.m. at Whole Foods, 1640 Chicago Ave. A 28-year-old Chicago man told officers he was entering the building from the roof lot when he was stopped by an individual and asked for money, Evanston police said. Evanston Police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said the man reported he told the 20-year-old that he wasn’t allowed to be on the roof and threatened to call the police. 

When the 28-year-old took his phone out of his pocket, the 20-year-old started yelling, grabbed the man’s chest and started shaking him, Glew said. The man filed a complaint, and Whole Foods’ loss prevention officer said the 20-year-old has been asked to leave the property multiple times. The store filed a complaint for trespassing when police arrived. 

The 20-year-old Chicago man is scheduled to appear in court on March 11. 

Vehicle damaged with sugar water

A tan 2006 Mercedes-Benz, parked in the 800 block of Brummel Street, was damaged Saturday between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m., police said. 

The vehicle belonged to a 28-year-old Evanston man. Glew said the responding officers found sugar water in the car’s gas tank, and the cover of the gas tank was broken off. There were also dents in the passenger door of the vehicle.

Glew said police do not have enough evidence to arrest anyone yet.

Twitter: @jacobnfulton1