Search for new provost begins; Schapiro forms search committee

Schapiro+said+the+committee+seeks+to+find+a+replacement+by+the+start+of+the+next+academic+year.+Holloway+will+continue+to+serve+as+a+provost+until+the+end+of+Winter+Quarter.+

Daily file photo by Evan Robinson-Johnson

Schapiro said the committee seeks to find a replacement by the start of the next academic year. Holloway will continue to serve as a provost until the end of Winter Quarter.

Yunkyo Kim, Assistant Campus Editor

University President Morton Schapiro announced in an email to the Northwestern community that senior administrators have formed a committee to find a successor for Provost Jonathan Holloway.

Amid rumors that Holloway will leave Northwestern, Schapiro announced earlier this week that the provost is set to become Rutgers University’s 21st president. Holloway has been at the University since August 2017 and formerly served as dean of Yale College.

In his statement, Schapiro said the committee seeks to find a replacement by the start of the next academic year. Holloway will continue to serve as a provost until the end of Winter Quarter.

In the meantime, Kathleen Hagerty, Associate Provost for faculty and former interim dean of the Kellogg School of Management, will serve as interim provost starting April 1.

Hagerty has also served as a senior associate dean of faculty and research, chair of the finance department and faculty director of Ph.D. programs at Kellogg.

The search committee will be spearheaded by Schapiro and includes Craig Johnson, senior vice president for business and finance, Jeri Ward, vice president for global marketing and communications and other University officials.

In his email, Schapiro encouraged students to contribute to the provost hiring process by reaching out to members of the search committee with nominations.

“The committee welcomes input from across our campuses,” Schapiro said in his email.

As Rutgers welcomes its first black president next academic year, Northwestern will lose an important member of the community, Associated Student Government vice president Adam Davies said.

The SESP senior said during Wednesday’s meeting they were working on drafting legislation to expand student inputs around the hiring process.

“We would like to make sure there’s sufficient student representation,” Davies said.

Twitter: @yunkyomoonk