Report: Provost Jonathan Holloway expected to leave Northwestern to become Rutgers president

Daily file photo by Evan Robinson-Johnson

Provost Jonathan Holloway. Holloway took over as Northwestern’s provost in Summer 2017, coming to the University from Yale College.

Troy Closson, Editor in Chief

Provost Jonathan Holloway is reportedly set to leave Northwestern to become the first black president of Rutgers University, according to a report from NJ Advance Media.

Holloway is expected to be named president on Tuesday, though the hiring is not final and is pending approval by Rutgers’ Board of Governors and Board of Trustees, according to NJ Advance Media. A Northwestern spokesperson did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Holloway took over as Northwestern’s provost in Summer 2017, coming to the University as the former dean of Yale College.

In his two and a half years in Evanston, Holloway implemented a new review process for deans, helped start the Undergraduate Student Lifecycle Initiative to support first-generation and low-income students and launched Books for Cats as a program to loan students STEM textbooks. He also served as provost through Northwestern’s budget deficit and during student pushback to visiting professor Satoshi Kanazawa last winter.

Northwestern’s previous provost Daniel Linzer served in the role for about ten years.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy tweeted about the news Sunday afternoon saying “Dr. Holloway clearly showed he had the vision & experience to put the needs of students first & lead Rutgers to the next level.”

This story will be updated.