Northwestern to implement new review process for Deans of schools

Daily file photo by Evan Robinson-Johnson

Jonathan Holloway, center. The provost is implementing a new review process for deans.

Wilson Chapman, Reporter

Northwestern will implement a new review process for deans, the school announced last week.

In an email to the Northwestern community, Provost Jonathan Holloway said this review will evaluate a dean’s performance to help him determine whether or not to reappoint said dean for a new term.

The process will take place during the fourth year of a dean’s five-year term. The first dean to go through the process will be Adrian Randolph, the dean of the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences, whose review will be completed by the end of this academic quarter.

Holloway said that the review will be assisted by a four-person ad hoc group consisting of faculty members. The chair of the ad hoc group is neurobiology Prof. Ravi Allada, who will lead history Prof. Laura Hein, anthropology Prof. Matthew Johnson, and English Prof. Wendy Wall. The ad hoc group will be in charge of leading community engagement, as well as interviewing the dean’s staff, representative student leaders, department chairs and program directors.

They will also distribute a survey developed by the Provost’s Office to gather perspectives from other members of the Weinberg community. Holloway said that information about participating in the survey and interviews will be announced later in the quarter.

Holloway said that the purpose of this process is to make sure that the strategies and initiatives of the academic schools are aligned with the priorities of the University as a whole. In addition, he said that the process will look to see if the school’s initiatives are being implemented effectively and are positively affecting Northwestern’s reputation and influence.