Ike Ogbo appointed new Health and Human Services director

Kristina Karisch, Print Managing Editor

Ike Ogbo has been appointed director of Evanston’s Health and Human Services Department, the city announced Tuesday.

Ogbo was appointed to the position by interim city manager Erika Storlie. He has been serving as the department’s interim director since March, when former director Evonda Thomas-Smith left the post. As director, Ogbo will oversee the city’s social service, public and environmental health programs, according to a news release.

“Ike brings more than a decade of experience working to support Evanston’s diverse public health and human services needs to this important position,” Storlie said in the release. “I look forward to working with Ike and our Health and Human Services Department staff to improve and protect the health and well-being of all who live, work and play in our city.”

Ogbo’s department will be impacted by the city’s proposed two-year budget for 2020 and 2021, which is currently under review and discussion. One of the biggest proposed adjustments is a shift of the city’s social services from the general fund to the human services fund to “provide for a holistic approach and improve coordination between the various services being provided,” according to city documents.

Social services will operate out of Health and Human Services, which is set to gain three new full-time positions as part of the restructuring.

“Social services are a priority and should remain a priority,” Storlie said at a meeting in early October. “Now we’re giving it its own dedicated funding source.”

Ogbo began working for the city in 2008 as a licensed environmental health practitioner, according to the release. Starting in 2015, he was the city’s public health manager. Previously, Ogbo worked for the Illinois Department of Public Health and the McLean County Health Department. He holds a bachelor’s in biology and a master’s in public health from the University of Illinois.

Twitter: @kristinakarisch