Schakowsky votes to pass impeachment resolution

Samantha Handler, City Editor

U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Evanston) voted Thursday to pass a resolution setting out rules for the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump.

The measure passed on a divided vote of 232 to 196, with Democrats rallying to approve the rules and procedures of the investigation. Schakowsky said in a Thursday statement that the vote shows Democrats are upholding their oath to protect and defend the constitution.

“This vote, this resolution, and this day will go down in history,” Schakowsky said in the statement, “and it will be a moment I proudly remember when I look back on my career in Congress.”

Schakowsky said the resolution will allow the House Intelligence Committee to hold public hearings and make other materials public. The measure also lays out the process for Congressmen to decide whether to introduce articles of impeachment against the president, as well as his rights regarding the investigation.

Schakowsky said the evidence against the president is “staggering.” The Democrats began the investigation after an anonymous whistleblower accused Trump of asking Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate former-Vice President Joe Biden and his son in exchange for military assistance.

“I voted yes to protect my country and its constitution for generations to come,” Schakowsky said. “No person is above the law, not even the President.”

Twitter: @sn_handler