Blotter: Man caught stealing alcohol from Jewel-Osco, car tires slashed outside of Buffalo Joe’s

Natalie Chun, Reporter

A 21-year-old manager at the Jewel-Osco located at 1128 Chicago Ave. reported a theft of $31.98 in alcohol around 5:15 p.m. on Tuesday.

The manager told the officer who responded that she observed a man wearing a backpack taking two bottles of liquor from the shelf and go to the restroom. She said that when he left the restroom, he was no longer carrying the bottles but his backpack looked more substantial, said Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew.

The man then walked past the place of purchase and ran from the store. The manager said the man appeared to be in his mid-20s and was wearing red pants and a gray hooded sweatshirt.

While en route to the Jewel, an officer stopped a subject at the south end of the Jewel parking lot who matched the description and found the two bottles of liquor in his backpack, Glew said. He was issued a citation for retail theft.

Car tires slashed outside of Buffalo Joe’s

A 29-year-old Northbrook resident reported criminal damage to his vehicle Tuesday. The car, a 2016 Honda, was parked outside the Buffalo Joe’s located at 812 Clark St.

The man told the responding officer that the incident occurred sometime between 8 p.m. on Oct. 21 and 12 a.m. on Oct. 22. The man said that sometime in that time frame an unknown subject slashed both tires on the passenger side of the vehicle. Significant scratch marks were also found along the entire passenger side, Glew said.

Glew said that there are no suspects and no one is in custody.