Letter to the Editor: Confronting intellectual intolerance

Ryan Abbott

In response to Miss Chang’s op-ed on October 14th, 2019: Miss Chang’s op-ed protesting the arrival of Mr. Sessions to Northwestern begs the question: Who is truly tolerant? It is strange that she would protest a speech from a conservative figure holding mainstream conservative beliefs, a man she claims is full to the brim with intolerance, by being herself systematically intolerant. Mr. Sessions holds views shared by a large majority of conservative Americans — do they all deserve to be shunned and protested for holding views deemed unacceptable by one side of the political spectrum? Does any conservative at Northwestern deserve this?

The answer lies within her op-ed: Miss Chang states that it is “difficult to dissociate conservative political thought from racism, sexism” and other such evil ideologies. Leftists consistently conflate conservative thought with evil ideologies because conservatism is built on epistemic foundations that subvert many leftist principles, though they still leave plenty of space for civilized dialogue. The only solution to such a crisis, short of civilized discussion, a tactic favored by liberals of old but paradoxically not of contemporary times, is to falsely associate conservatism with evil ideologies and declare its opposite, liberalism, to be the true good. In reality, that most conservatives are not hateful or intolerant at all; they merely believe in traditional values and natural law, ideas that are looked down upon by modern liberals.

The best way to fight intolerance and hatred is to confront it and fight it, not ignore it. I would ask Miss Chang to consider attending Mr. Sessions’s speech and perhaps even conversing with him. Wouldn’t having a discussion and asking questions of the other side be a far more effective method of “(furthering) intellectual conversation and debate” than having no interaction at all? I hope Miss Chang can tolerate the answer.

— Ryan Abbott, McCormick junior