Blotter: Man arrested for theft at Jewel-Osco, woman reports indiscernible graffiti on her garage

Natalie Chun, Reporter

A 42-year-old man was arrested Tuesday in connection with a theft at the Jewel-Osco, located at 1128 Chicago Ave.

A 25-year-old employee at the Jewel reported the theft around 11:20 a.m. on Tuesday. He told the responding officer that the man was a known offender and was previously arrested for retail theft at the Jewel. Employees had warned him not to return.

The man stole a six-pack of beer and a bottle of vodka, with a total value of $31.98, said Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew. He then took the liquor, exited the store without paying and fled across Chicago Avenue.

The employee who reported the theft provided a description of the man, saying he was wearing a black jacket and grey sweatpants.

Police dispatch located a man matching that description on the corner of Hinman Avenue and Greenleaf Street. Police recovered the beer and vodka, Glew said. The man was identified and arrested for one count of criminal trespassing and one count of retail theft.

Woman reports indiscernible graffiti on her garage

An 80-year-old Evanston resident reported criminal damage to her garage Wednesday from her home at the 1000 block of Ashland Avenue.

She told the officer who responded that the north side of her garage was defaced with graffiti. She said the incident took place sometime between 9 p.m. on Oct. 14 and 10 a.m. on Oct. 15. Police said that the graffiti appeared to be white spray paint, but the writing was indiscernible.

Glew said there are currently no suspects and no one is in custody.