EPD, CFS investigate Haven Middle School staff member for inappropriate behavior

Daily file photo by Edward Cox

Evanston police are investigating a claim that a Haven Middle School staff member acted in an appropriate way. The investigation is ongoing.

Samantha Handler, City Editor

Evanston police are investigating an allegation that a Haven Middle School staff member was “inappropriate” with a student during school hours.

Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said the allegation was reported sometime last week. He added police are investigating only one person. No one has been charged. The staff member has been placed on leave.

WGN reported that Haven principal Kathy Roberson sent a letter to parents saying after the school learned of the complaint, Evanston/Skokie School District 65 contacted the Evanston Police Department and the Department of Children and Family Services. She wrote that maintaining a safe and welcoming environment at school is a high priority for the district.

EPD went to the school, met with the student and the student’s parent and began investigating the allegation, according to the letter. District 65 has also started its own investigation.

In a follow-up letter, Roberson said the district is in “daily contact” with EPD and Children and Family Services, whose investigations are ongoing.

“We continue to focus on maintaining a safe and welcoming educational environment for all of our students,” the second letter said. “We have also maintained our focus on academic and social emotional learning and have observed students to be actively engaged in instruction and activities all week.”

Roberson did not immediately respond to The Daily’s request for comment.

Twitter: @sn_handler