Blotter: Man arrested for striking police officer, items taken from car on Elmwood

Samantha Handler, City Editor

A man was arrested Monday in connection with hitting a police officer and assaulting a driver around the intersection of Dodge Avenue and Emerson Street.

Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said officers responded to a report of an assault at around 8:20 a.m., where a man in a wheelchair was blocking traffic. The man was yelling profanities at a bus driver and officers and had spit on a bus rider.

A different bus driver, a 51-year-old man, approached the officers and said the man had originally boarded his bus and shouted profanities at him. When the bus driver attempted to move the man off the bus, the man pulled out a pair of scissors and said, “I’ll cut you motherf—-r.” The bus driver feared he would get injured, and the man was arrested, Glew said.

When the man was taken to the hospital for an evaluation, he struck an officer with a closed fist as the officer attempted to remove the man’s jacket.

The officer was treated and released from the emergency room.

Items taken from car on Elmwood

Two Wisconsin residents reported credit cards and IDs stolen from a car parked on Elmwood Avenue on Monday.

The 2003 Nissan Altima was parked on the 100 block of Elmwood Avenue between 1:15 p.m. and 2 p.m. on Monday. When the owner of the car, a 21-year-old Wisconsin resident, and a 19-year-old female Wisconsin resident returned to the car, they discovered the vehicle was “ransacked,” Glew said.

The man said his brown leather wallet, driver’s license, credit card, debit card and social security card was taken. The woman reported her same items were missing, as well as her student IDs.

No one is in custody and there is no information on who took the items, Glew said.

Twitter: @sn_handler