Blotter: Northwestern student arrested for Target theft

Joshua Irvine, Copy Chief

A Northwestern student was arrested Tuesday afternoon for attempted theft at the Target in the 1600 block of Sherman Avenue.

A Target employee observed security footage of the woman placing items in her backpack, said Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew. The woman then left the store without paying for the items, Glew said, and the employee detained the woman at about 5:23 p.m..

Glew said responding officers found $88.35 worth of stolen items on the woman, including vodka, Snapple, Hot Pockets, medical equipment and several other miscellaneous items. The woman was arrested and transported to the Evanston Police Department, where she was charged with retail theft. The police bulletin did not post a court date.

Man arrested after Jewel liquor theft

Officers responded Tuesday afternoon to reports of a theft at a Jewel-Osco in the 1100 block of Chicago Avenue.

Glew said the Jewel manager called police after an employee observed a man place two bottles of Jack Daniels whiskey, each valued at $19.99, in a bag and two bottles of Absolut vodka, valued at $24.99 each, in his coat at about 4:30 p.m.

The man ignored orders by both the manager and employee to stop and exited the store without paying, Glew said. The manager and employee followed the man outside to an address in the 600 block of Dempster Street, where an assisting officer detained the man.

Glew said that while fleeing, the man removed the two bottles of vodka from his jacket and placed them on the ground, where they were later recovered. He then attempted to remove the whiskeys from his bag and place them in his pants, Glew said, but both bottles fell out and shattered.

The man was placed under arrest and transported to the Evanston Police Department, where he was charged with retail theft. His court date is set for June 18.

Twitter: @maybejoshirvine