Blotter: Armed robbery of phone near Jewel-Osco parking lot

Joshua Irvine, Copy Chief

Police responded Friday afternoon to a report of an armed robbery in the 2400 block of Howard Street.

A man told police he was accosted by an armed man at 2:40 p.m. while walking near the southwest corner of a Jewel-Osco located at 2485 Howard St, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. The man told police that a car approached him and the driver drew a handgun, demanding the man’s Samsung smartphone valued at $1100. The man then entered his car and fled in an unknown direction, Glew said.

Glew said the man whose phone was taken identified the driver, describing him as an acquaintance with gang ties. Police do not have anyone in custody.

Custer Avenue residence broken into

A woman called police Friday evening to report a burglary of her residence in the 200 block of Custer Avenue.

Glew said the woman told officers that someone entered her condo between 7:30 a.m. and 8:15 p.m. and removed over $7,000 in valuables. The front door of her residence appeared to have been pried open, Glew said, and the deadbolt had been removed from the door.

The woman said that a $400 iPad, a $200 Bose stereo, and $5,000 in gold necklaces, earrings and nose studs had been removed from her bedroom, Glew said. A $2,000 MacBook Air belonging to the victim’s sister was also taken, Glew said. Evidence technicians also responded to the residence.

Police have no suspects and no one in custody.

Twitter: @maybejoshirvine