Sigma Chi’s suspension lifted by national headquarters

Daily file photo by Evan Robinson-Johnson

The Sigma Chi house. The fraternity’s February suspension was lifted in March.

Gabby Birenbaum, Campus Editor

The temporary suspension on Northwestern’s chapter of the Sigma Chi fraternity has been lifted by their national headquarters.

“As a chapter, we’re glad to be back to our normal status and functioning as usual,” Trevor Lystad, the president of the chapter, told The Daily in a text. “I want to thank the University and our national headquarters for their help through this process.”

The suspension, which went into effect on Feb. 19, was lifted on March 14, according to Medill sophomore and Sigma Chi member Alex Moore.

In February, Lystad said he could not comment on the details of the situation that led to the suspension of social functions including intramurals and officer elections, but they were allowed to remain in their on-campus house, serve meals and meet “financial commitments,” Michael Church, the executive director of Sigma Chi International, said in a February email to The Daily. The fraternity also remained members of the Interfraternity Council.

The fraternity had been suspended while Sigma Chi’s national headquarters investigated alleged violations of Sigma Chi’s policies. The lifting of the suspension signals that the investigation is complete and no punitive measures were taken regarding the alleged violations.

While under suspension, Sigma Chi was not allowed to hold social functions, including initiation,

Sigma Chi is now free to host social events once again.

Twitter: @birenbaum