Sigma Chi fraternity temporarily suspended by national headquarters, currently under investigation

Evan Robinson-Johnson/The Daily Northwestern

The Sigma Chi house. The fraternity was suspended Tuesday by its national headquarters due to an alleged policy violation.

Cameron Cook and Catherine Kim

Northwestern’s chapter of Sigma Chi fraternity has been temporarily suspended pending an investigation by their national headquarters into alleged violations of Sigma Chi’s policies.

The suspension, which went into effect Tuesday, will remain until the national organization’s executive committee reviews the allegations. SESP junior Trevor Lystad, president of the chapter, said he cannot comment on the details of the situation.

“We are in the process of investigating the validity and extent of the policy violations and, pursuant to our standard process, have placed the chapter on an interim suspension while we investigate,” Michael Church, the executive director of Sigma Chi International Headquarters, said in an email to The Daily. Church also declined to share details of the alleged violations.

While suspended, the fraternity is not allowed to hold functions such as social events, initiation, intramurals and officer elections, according to an email sent to the fraternity from national headquarters. The fraternity, however, will still stay in its current house, serve meals and meet “financial commitments,” the email added.

Lystad said his chapter has been in contact with Interfraternity Council and University officials and “welcome them to be part of the process going forward.”

Although the fraternity was not suspended by the University, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life does help enforce sanctions handed down from an organization’s national headquarters, FSL Director Travis Martin said.

IFC President Connor Echols told The Daily in an email that under IFC’s internal policies, Sigma Chi will remain a member of IFC during their period of temporary suspension.

“IFC has been in contact with Sigma Chi leadership, and we will continue to monitor the situation going forward,” Echols said. “At present, the situation only concerns the local chapter and their national organization.”

Elizabeth Byrne contributed reporting.

Twitter: @cam_e_cook

Twitter: @ck_525