Evanston man charged with aggravated assault, injuring police officer

Ashley Capoot, Reporter

An Evanston man was arrested last week on charges of evading an outstanding arrest warrant and injuring a police officer in a car accident.

The man was charged Sunday with aggravated battery to a police officer after he crashed into a police car and injured an officer on Feb. 2, according to a Tuesday news release from the Evanston Police Department. The man tried to flee in a red Chevy Tahoe to avoid arrest, and he purposely crashed into the side of a police car in the process, the news release said.

“The officer attempted to exit his vehicle but (the man) struck the officer’s squad car,” the news release said. He then “drove toward the squad car and side swiped the driver’s side of the squad car.”

The man fled from police officers twice on Feb. 2, and he managed to elude them both times.

EPD Tactical Unit officers eventually located and arrested the man on Feb. 3 in the 2300 block of Chase Avenue in Chicago, the release said.

The man was charged with two misdemeanors and five felonies, including aggravated battery of a police officer and aggravated use of a deadly weapon.

Three police cars from EPD have been damaged in separate instances since October 2018. In all three cases, an officer sustained minor injuries, and the offenders have been brought to the EPD and charged.

Twitter: @ashleycapoot