Director of the National Museum of African American History and Culture to speak at 2019 commencement

Lonnie Bunch. The University announced Tuesday that Bunch, the director of the National Museum of African American History and Culture, will be NUs 2019 commencement speaker.

Source: Northwestern Now

Lonnie Bunch. The University announced Tuesday that Bunch, the director of the National Museum of African American History and Culture, will be NU’s 2019 commencement speaker.

Catherine Kim, Campus Editor

Director of the National Museum of African American History and Culture Lonnie Bunch will be Northwestern’s 2019 commencement speaker, according to a University announcement.

Bunch will deliver his speech June 21 at Ryan Field. He is also one of six to receive an honorary degree from the University this year, recognized for his role as the museum’s director since 2015.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Alan Kay, Bernard Osher, Shirley Welsh Ryan and Andrew Youn also will receive honorary degrees for their leadership in science, the arts, business or philanthropy, the announcement said.

“I am honored to be able to acknowledge the achievements of such an important educational institution, whose willingness to embrace issues of diversity and inclusion provides an important model for us all,” Bunch said in the announcement. “I look forward to participating in its graduation ceremony.”

Bunch has worked to shape the museum’s mission by directing its collections, exhibitions and public programs, the announcement said, and the museum has drawn more than 5 million visitors since its opening.

Recognized for his work, Bunch was named by The American Association of Museums as one of the 20th century’s most influential museum professionals, the announcement said. He was also appointed by Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama to the Committee for the Preservation of the White House.

Twitter: @ck_525