Evanston man charged with aggravated battery, injuring police officer

Daily file photo by Daniel Tian

Two parked Evanston police cars. An Evanston man was arrested and charged last week on an outstanding arrest warrant stemming from an October 2018 incident where he fled the scene of the crime and intentionally struck an occupied police car.

Ashley Capoot, Reporter

An Evanston man was arrested and charged last week on an outstanding arrest warrant stemming from an October 2018 incident.

The man was charged on Jan. 23 with aggravated battery to a police officer after he crashed into a police car and injured an officer on Oct. 5, 2018, according to an Evanston Police Department news release.

According to the release, EPD detectives responded to a drug complaint about a man in a white Kia Sorento near the 1100 block of Church Street.

When officers arrived at the scene, they detected an odor of cannabis coming from inside the vehicle and found the man sitting in the passenger seat. Officers instructed the man to exit the vehicle, but he did not comply and climbed into the driver’s seat.

The man fled the scene and intentionally struck an occupied police car, the release said. The officer in the car sustained minor injuries. EPD officers lost track of the man and he was not taken into custody, but detectives obtained an arrest warrant for the man on Oct. 19.

He was located, arrested and charged Wednesday with one misdemeanor and four felonies, including aggravated battery to a police officer.

The man’s bond was set for $50,000, and he is set to appear in court on Feb. 21.

Twitter: @ashleycapoot