Northwestern $1 million donation to Evanston funds paramedic services, job training

Daily file photo by Andi Zhang

Northwestern University announced the allocation of its annual $1 million donation to Evanston last week.

Ashley Capoot, Reporter

Northwestern President Morton Schapiro and Evanston Mayor Stephen Hagerty announced last week the allocation of NU’s $1 million donation to Evanston’s Good Neighbor Fund.

The donation is just one way the University tries to settle concerns from Evanston residents that its exemption from property taxes is a drain on the city’s revenue, a longstanding conflict in town-gown relations. It also comes as both Northwestern and Evanston struggle with a budget deficit.

“Northwestern’s relationship with the City and its residents is a priority for the University, and the Good Neighbor Fund is a great example of this partnership,” President Schapiro said in a news release. “This is one of the concrete ways we can demonstrate our commitment. Our investments, specifically in the areas of youth programs and career development, will have a meaningful impact on the Evanston community for years to come.”

The donation will support projects including the Evanston Fire Department paramedic services, job training, youth outreach programs and library programs beginning on the first day of the new year.

In 2015, Schapiro and Hagerty agreed that the University would donate to Evanston for five years on the condition that they would both agree on where to allocate the funds. The new year will mark Northwestern’s fourth annual $1 million donation to the city.

This year, the donation will support ten different projects. Evanston Fire Department paramedic services received the most funding at $250,000 and Mayor Hagerty’s Discretionary Projects Fund was allocated the second largest amount at $150,000.

“Northwestern University is a great neighbor, and I thank President Schapiro, in particular, for continuing this important partnership,” Mayor Hagerty said in a statement. “This $1 million financial contribution supports our community’s success by funding important projects that will help everyone who lives, works and plays in Evanston.”

A previous version of this article mistakenly said Steve Hagerty started the Good Neighbor Fund. Former mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl established the fund with Northwestern. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @ashleycapoot