Going to a campus play but don’t have cash? Starting in Winter Quarter, you can use Venmo

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle

Emily Ash and Sky Patterson at ASG Senate. ASG and SOFO partnered to let A-Status groups accept Venmo payments at events.

Cameron Cook, Assistant Campus Editor

Students will be able to use Venmo to pay for events hosted by A-Status student groups starting Winter Quarter, according to an Associated Student Government news release.

The project is a partnership between ASG and the Student Organization Finance Office, and is designed to streamline the payment process and make events more “digital-friendly.”

Groups will have to fill out a form on Wildcat Connection, the University’s student organization directory, at least 24 hours prior to accepting payments in a Venmo “line” — the “line” will be open one hour prior to each event and extend one hour into the event.

The move is part of what the release calls a “multi-faceted effort” to make student group finances more accessible, both to student group leaders and to students who may be attending events.

“ASG recognized that Venmo was the most popular form of online transaction method used between students,” the release said. “Adopting a familiar peer-to-peer payment method is an essential step in meeting student leaders and event attendees with the digital tools most familiar to them.”

While the use of Venmo will be limited to A-Status student groups in Winter Quarter, it should be accessible to all student groups starting in Spring Quarter, the release said.

Twitter: @cam_e_cook