Blotter: Man arrested for criminal sexual assault

Amelia Langas, Development and Recruitment Editor

A 41-year-old Evanston man was arrested for criminal sexual assault and home invasion Sunday in the 1400 block of Chicago Avenue.

At 9:10 p.m. on the date, the Evanston woman who reported the incident told responding officers that she was in her apartment when the smoke alarm went off. When she opened the door to exit the building, a man she did not know was there and forced her back into her apartment, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said.

The woman heard the Evanston Fire Department sirens and ran to the window to yell for help. She pushed the offender who ran out of the building but he was stopped by EFD. The Evanston Police Department arrived and was informed of the situation. The man was arrested.

Woman arrested for DUI

At 12:15 a.m. Thursday, EPD arrested a 26-year-old Evanston woman for driving under the influence.

Officers were traveling eastbound on Howard Street when they observed a black Mercedes, which was traveling southbound, drive through a red light at the intersection of Asbury Avenue and Howard.

Officers stopped the car at Seeley Avenue and asked the woman to exit the vehicle. She presented officers with a valid driver’s license and insurance, and admitted she had been drinking. Officers observed that she had bloodshot eyes, slightly slurred speech and a strong odor of alcohol, Glew said.

The woman did not pass a field sobriety test that officers administered, and she refused a breath test. She was arrested for DUI and cited for disobeying a traffic control device, driving in the wrong lane and reckless driving, Glew said.

Twitter: @amelialangas