Blotter: Theft reported at YMCA

Amelia Langas, Development & Recruitment Editor

At around 5:35 p.m. Monday, the Evanston Police Department received a call about a theft at the McGaw YMCA in the 1000 block of Grove Street.

Officers responded to the call and met with the 35-year-old woman Evanston resident whose backpack was stolen, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. The woman told police that she left her maroon backpack in the locker room for about 25 minutes, and when she returned it was gone.

The contents of the stolen backpack include $80, headphones valued at $200, credit cards, an insurance card and other items, Glew said.

When police reviewed security camera footage, the footage showed a person wearing a white T-shirt, black Adidas sweatpants and black shoes exiting the locker room with the backpack. The woman told police she does not want to sign complaints, she just wants her belongings returned.

EPD is currently investigating.

Evanston resident arrested, charged with domestic battery

A 56-year-old Evanston man was arrested around 6:50 a.m. Tuesday for domestic battery.

Police responded to a call around 6:31 a.m. from a 47-year-old woman who said her husband had hit her, Glew said. When officers arrived at the location in the 1300 block of Pitner Avenue, they interviewed the man and then the woman.

The man told police that his wife’s alarm clock had gone off, but she did not turn it off. He said they got in a verbal argument, but he denied any physical altercation.

However, the woman said the man had intentionally hit her, causing her lip to swell, as a result of an argument regarding the alarm clock. The woman told officers she wanted to sign complaints.

The man was arrested and charged with domestic battery, a misdemeanor.

Twitter: @amelialangas