Durbin expresses support of Ford, FBI investigation into Kavanaugh

Win McNamee/Pool/Abaca Press/TNS

Christine Blasey Ford, center, is sworn in before testifying to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Sept. 27. Ford is one of three women to accuse Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct.

Kristina Karisch, City Editor

U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said he will oppose the nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court on Friday, speaking alongside other members of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Durbin called for an FBI investigation into Kavanaugh, who has been accused of sexual assault and misconduct by three women. He said Christine Blasey Ford, a psychology professor and one of Kavanaugh’s accusers who testified before the committee on Thursday, delivered “credible, cooperative and resolute” testimony.

“The exchange I had with Judge Kavanaugh was an honest effort to loosen the Gordian knot this Committee faces when two sworn witnesses are in direct contradiction,” he said on Friday. “What I asked for, what many have asked for, is obvious – turn over the facts we know to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Let them connect the dots. Let them complete the investigation. Then let us meet and evaluate their findings.”

On Friday, Senate Republicans agreed to pause Kavanaugh’s confirmation process to allow for a week-long federal investigation into his conduct; so far, the FBI has looked into Ford’s allegations and those of Deborah Ramirez, the second woman to come forward against the judge. The investigation was triggered by U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Arizona), who called for a delay in the nomination process.

Twitter: @kristinakarisch