Northwestern raises tuition by 3.6 percent for second consecutive year

Daily file photo by Nathan Richards

Segal Visitors Center, 1841 Sheridan Rd. Northwestern’s tuition increased by 3.6 percent for the 2018-19 academic year.

Jonah Dylan, Campus Editor

Northwestern’s tuition, fees and room and board charges have increased by 3.6 percent for the 2018-19 academic year, according to a Friday news release.

This is the same percentage increase as last year. Tuition will increase from $52,239 to $54,120, while student activity and athletic fees will rise 3.3 percent to $247. Room and board fees will increase from $16,047 to $16,626 for undergraduates living in a double room with a full meal plan. According to the release, about 3,600 undergraduates live in University residence halls.

NU will also increase the amount it spends on financial aid, from $179 million to more than $196 million. The University will continue its policy of being “need blind” when considering applicants, meaning a student’s ability to pay will not be considered during the admission process.

According to the release, NU will also continue its policy, started in 2016, that all financial aid packages for first-year students will not include loans. Undocumented students who graduated from a U.S. high school are eligible for financial aid as well, and the University has made financial aid more available for international students.

Tuition for students in The Graduate School will also increase by 3.6 percent, the release said, but costs for other graduate programs are still being reviewed.

Twitter: @thejonahdylan