Two faculty members elected to Academy of Arts and Sciences

Source: Northwestern

Humanities Prof. Deborah Cohen. Along with sociology Prof. Gary Fine, Cohen was elected to the Academy of Arts and Sciences.

Jonah Dylan, Campus Editor

Two Northwestern faculty members, humanities Prof. Deborah Cohen and sociology Prof. Gary Fine, were elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, according to a Wednesday news release.

The Academy, which was established in 1780 by founders such as John Adams and James Bowdoin, is one of the country’s oldest learned societies and independent policy research centers. According to its website, the Academy brings together leaders from government, business and academic sectors to address critical challenges facing society.

According to the release, the academy currently focuses on issues like higher education, science and technology policy and global security. Cohen and Fine are two of the 213 leaders in social sciences, humanities, arts, business and public affairs elected to the academy for 2018.

Cohen’s research focuses on modern Britain and Europe. She’s currently working on a book about American foreign correspondents who reported from interwar Europe and Asia.

Fine specializes in culture, ethnographic research, social theory and collective behavior. His book “Talking Art: The Culture of Practice and the Practice of Culture in Art Education,” will be released this summer.

The two faculty members will be inducted into the Academy at an October ceremony in Cambridge, Massachusetts, according to the release.

Twitter: @thejonahdylan