Northwestern to offer funding for Bursar’s Office Takeover commemoration events

Source: University Archives

Students occupy the Northwestern Bursar’s Office in May 1968 for a 38-hour peaceful protest. Northwestern announced they will provide funding for organizations that wish to hold programming and events related to the 50th anniversary commemoration of the takeover.

Allie Goulding, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern will provide funding to student groups, departments and centers planning events to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Bursar’s Office Takeover, the University announced in a Wednesday news release.

The Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion is offering up to $2,500 in funding to support events and programming related to the commemoration of the Bursar’s Office Takeover, according to the release.

The Bursar’s Office Takeover started on May 3, 1968, when more than 100 undergraduate and graduate students occupied the office for 38 hours. The protest resulted in the creation of the African American Studies Department and the establishment of the Black House.

Organizations that wish to receive funding must apply through an online application, and according to the release, the event or program must have an “educational or inspirational mission” directly related to the takeover in order to receive funding.

The event or programming must take place between February and May this year, according to the release. The funding can also be used to “enhance” already existing programming, the application said.

The Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion and NU Black Alumni Association are leading the University’s commemoration with events throughout the year.

Winter Quarter events include a screening of the film “An Outrage,” a talk with Weinberg Prof. Martha Biondi about her book “The Black Revolution on Campus” and a conversation with activist Kathryn Ogletree, one of the participants of the historic sit-in.

Twitter: @alliejennaphoto