Seth Meyers hosts 75th Golden Globe Awards Ceremony

Jay L. Clendenin/Los Angeles Times/TNS

Seth Meyer and wife Alexi Ashe arrives at the 75th Annual Golden Globes at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Sunday, Jan. 7, 2018.

Jane Recker, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Northwestern alum Seth Meyers hosted the 75th Golden Globe Awards Ceremony in Beverly Hills on Sunday.

As Meyers (Communication ‘96) noted, however, given the circumstances in Hollywood it might have been more appropriate for a woman to host the show.

“If it’s any consolation, I’m a man with absolutely no power in Hollywood. I’m not even the most powerful Seth in the room tonight,” he said, pointing to Seth Rogen.

Many of Meyers’ jokes were centered around the sexual assault and harassment scandals plaguing Hollywood and countless other industries. He also had a few pointed digs towards President Trump. Meyers mentioned the obvious absence of Harvey Weinstein, joking Weinstein would return in 20 years to be the only person ever to be booed during the “In Memoriam.”

Meyers wore black, along with the vast majority of the evening’s attendees, as a means of showing solidarity with the #MeToo campaign. Many of the presenters and award winners touched on the subject of female empowerment in their speeches, making clear that there needed to be a continued effort to strive towards equality of the sexes.

Oprah Winfrey was honored with the Cecil B. DeMille Award, an honorary Golden Globe award given to an individual for outstanding contributions to the world of entertainment. In her acceptance speech, Winfrey also touched on the shifting tides of power in Hollywood.

“For too long, women have not been heard or believed if they dared to speak their truth to the power of those men,” she said. “But their time is up.”

In the television category, “Big Little Lies” won four awards, with “The Handmaid’s Tale” close behind with two awards. Aziz Ansari won his first Golden Globe in the “Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy” category for his work in “Master of None.”

“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” took home four Golden Globes, including “Best Motion Picture – Drama.” Saoirse Ronan won for “Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy” for her role in “Lady Bird,” which won “Best Picture – Musical or Comedy.”

Twitter: @jreck96