Football: Clayton Thorson to return for senior season

Daily file photo by David Lee

Clayton Thorson fires a pass. The junior quarterback will return to Evanston next season, the football program said Tuesday.

Joseph Wilkinson, Sports Editor

Football

Junior quarterback Clayton Thorson will return for his senior season, the football program announced Tuesday. Thorson was eligible to enter the NFL Draft after his third year in Evanston, but has instead announced that he will return to campus.

Thorson has the most wins and is tied for the most passing touchdowns in Wildcats history and currently sits second in career passing yards.

NU has reached three bowl games with Thorson leading the offense, making him the second quarterback in team history, after Kain Colter, to achieve such a feat.

In 2017, Thorson has thrown for 2,809 yards, 15 touchdowns and 12 interceptions while also adding eight rushing touchdowns.

Barring a career day against Kentucky in the Music City Bowl, his 2017 passing numbers will all finish worse than those from his sophomore year, where he racked up over 3,000 passing yards and added 22 touchdowns while tossing only nine interceptions.

Despite his rather pedestrian numbers, Thorson has drawn attention from NFL scouts because of his 6-foot-4, 225-pound frame and strong arm. Thorson, however, said in the announcement that he decided to return because he wanted another chance to win a Big Ten title.

Twitter: @joe_f_wilkinson