NU donation to Evanston to go toward facility improvements, youth job training

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle

Northwestern University. NU donated $1 million to Evanston’s Good Neighbor Fund for the third year in a row to help support some municipal projects and services.

Amelia Langas, Assistant City Editor

Northwestern donated $1 million to Evanston’s Good Neighbor Fund for the third year in a row to help support some municipal projects and services, the city announced in a Thursday news release.

The money will go to facility and park improvements, paramedic services and youth job training, the release said. Last year, the donation funded programs for youth in high-risk situations, police cameras, Evanston Fire Department paramedics, bike lanes on Sheridan Road and assisted families affected by violent crime.

“Northwestern is much more than just a good neighbor, it’s a partner in our community’s success,” Mayor Steve Hagerty said in the release. “I look forward to continuing our strong spirit of cooperation and support for many years to come.”

In March 2015, the University pledged to donate $1 million annually for five years to Evanston. The funds go toward city projects that are jointly decided by the Evanston mayor and University President Morton Schapiro.

This year, $325,000 was allocated to Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center for interior improvements, $100,000 to renovate the Harbert Park basketball court and $25,000 to a CTA/Union Pacific Viaduct Beautification Pilot Project.

In addition to improvement projects, $220,000 was given to the Evanston Fire Department paramedic services, $160,000 to job training programs for youth at risk, $100,000 to the city’s Youth and Young Adult Division and $70,000 to Evanston Public Library to support a social worker.

“One of Northwestern’s key assets is our location in Evanston, a vibrant and thriving community where many of our faculty and staff live,” Schapiro said in the release. “Our partnerships with the City of Evanston and the Evanston schools continue to grow, and this contribution demonstrates our commitment to our home town.”

Twitter: @amelialangas