Blotter: Chicago man charged with domestic battery

Sophie Mann, Reporter

A Chicago resident was arrested Tuesday in connection with a domestic battery incident that occurred in west Evanston on Thursday.

Officers responded to Presence Saint Francis Hospital for a woman being treated for swelling and bruising around her right eye and cheekbone after a domestic dispute, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. The woman and her ex-boyfriend — the Chicago resident — had gotten into a verbal dispute Thursday afternoon, but went their separate ways, Dugan said.

Later the same afternoon, the ex-boyfriend arrived at the woman’s home and told her to get in the car, Dugan said. Because she was scared he would become irrational, the woman complied and the man then drove near the intersection of Dempster Street and Darrow Avenue. Upon arriving, Dugan said, the man began punching her, pulling her hair and calling her derogatory names.

The man dropped her back off at her home and the woman’s friend took her to the emergency room, Dugan said. A wanted bulletin was put out for the man’s arrest, and he was taken into custody Tuesday afternoon in the 1900 block of Foster Avenue.

He was charged with misdemeanor domestic battery.

Evanston man arrested in connection with possession of marijuana

An Evanston man was arrested Tuesday afternoon for possession of marijuana in south Evanston.

Detectives observed an occupied vehicle in the 2000 block of Warren Street that they recognized as belonging to a person known to be involved in narcotic sales, Dugan said. Detectives also knew the vehicle’s owner had an active warrant for his arrest.

When they pulled up to the vehicle, they noticed the scent of marijuana coming from inside and that the driver was not the vehicle’s registered owner, Dugan said. The driver admitted to smoking in the vehicle earlier, and, when the vehicle was checked, detectives found 57 grams of what they suspected was marijuana.

The man was arrested and charged with misdemeanor unlawful possession of cannabis.

Twitter: @sophiemmann