NU combines initiatives to form integrated study abroad office

Erica Snow, Campus Editor

The University merged the Study Abroad Office and International Program Development into an integrated office that will make it easier for students to study abroad, Ronald Braeutigam, associate provost for undergraduate education, said in a news release.

The Office of Undergraduate Learning Abroad followed recommendations made in the 2016 Global Strategy Task Force report, according to the release.

Sara Tully, who was named the director of the integrated office, said in the release that the goal is to make sure “affordable, degree-relevant learning abroad” is available to all interested undergraduate students.

“Studying abroad is an extension of Northwestern’s undergraduate curriculum,” Tully said in the release. “We’re here to support faculty members’ efforts to ensure that the students have study abroad options that are aligned with the University’s high academic standards.”

Braeutigam said the integrated office will strengthen the partnership with faculty on the University Study Abroad Committee. He added that the office works with the Global Engagement Studies Institute and the Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid.

The office will focus on reducing barriers to study abroad experiences and working with faculty to create more opportunities, the release said.

“Bringing together undergraduate offerings provides increasing coherence to our portfolio in a way that serves the University’s global mission and strategy,” former IPD director Dévora Grynspan said in the release.

Twitter: @ericasnoww