Fire department investigates Tuesday morning house fire

Colin Boyle/Daily Senior Staffer

The Evanston Fire Department. The International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) Union concluded new contract negotiations this past Tuesday.

Rishika Dugyala, City Editor

The Evanston Fire Department is investigating the cause of a house fire early Tuesday morning that sent one local firefighter to the hospital for heat exhaustion.

At 12:27 a.m., Engine 23 was on its way back to headquarters after responding to an automatic fire alarm, according to a news release from EFD division chief Paul Polep. When the engine reached the 2300 block of Ridge Avenue, firefighters in the vehicle smelled something burning in the area.

Firefighters parked the engine and walked along Ridge Avenue until they found a two-story, single-family residence that had activated smoke detectors and was full of smoke, Polep said.
Firefighters immediately upgraded the alarm and other crews arrived to assist with the blaze. It was put out within 24 minutes of the incident, Polep said. Responders determined the house was unoccupied and was being rehabbed.

Polep said the alarm was categorized at the box level, which means mutual aid companies from other agencies were brought in to cover the city.

As a result of the incident, an Evanston firefighter was treated and released from the hospital for heat exhaustion, but no other injuries were reported.

Twitter: @rdugyala822