Man killed in Chicago Avenue shooting, suspect still at large

Ben Pope, Summer Editor

A Chicago man was shot and killed at the intersection of Chicago Avenue and Howard Street in Evanston at about 2:45 a.m. Monday morning, according to a Evanston Police Department news release.

The suspect in the homicide, described as a young, black male about six feet in height and of a medium build, fled north on Chicago Avenue after the incident and remains at large, according to the release.

Witnesses said the two men were engaged in a “physical altercation” in which the victim, 25-year-old Hamza Hammouis, was shot in the head, according to the release. The shooter fled before officers arrived and Hammouis was transported to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Evanston Police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan told The Daily on Monday afternoon that he had no update on the case or search. Evanston officers, as well as officers from other neighboring towns, are currently investigating and talking to witnesses.

Both Chicago and Howard were temporarily closed to traffic at the intersection, but both have since been reopened, Dugan said.

This story was updated at 1:20 p.m. with information that the streets have been reopened to traffic, and at 3:10 p.m. with additional information about the victim.

Twitter: @benpope111