Comedian Aparna Nancherla announced as opener for A&O, SASA spring speaker event

Catherine Kim, Assistant Campus Editor

A&O Productions and the South Asian Student Alliance announced Wednesday that stand-up comedian Aparna Nancherla will open for their spring speaker event.

Most recently, Nancherla worked as a writer and performer for NBC’s “Late Night with Seth Meyers.” She can also be seen on Comedy Central’s “Inside Amy Schumer,” Judd Apatow’s “Love” on Netflix and “Crashing” on HBO.

A&O director of speakers Maddie Thomas said the comedy event is “something new” the group is trying. The group has been working to diversify its lineup in terms of content and artists as well as experimenting with new programs, such as smaller and intimate standup comedy shows, the Communication senior said.

Nancherla, along with student comedy group Mee-Ow and student comedian Grace Dowling, will open for headliner Chris Gethard.

Thomas said she is excited to see several groups perform throughout the night and share different acts with the audience.

“Having a headliner, opener, a student opener and improv group will be a really cool combination of comedy styles and comedy personas on one stage,” she said. “You can get a lot of perspectives and comedy just from this one event.”

The event will be held in Lutkin Hall on Monday, according to a news release.

Twitter: @ck_525